Fire breaks out at Kiwi House

Listen to this article

A fire broke out and engulfed an outdoor BBQ area at Kiwi House last night.

Reports suggest that a BBQ gas canister exploded on the outdoor terrace at 1 Granary Square, which is being used by friends, family and supporters as the official New Zealand hospitality house during the Olympic Games.

@KiwiHouse2012, via social networks, tweeted that everyone was OK and that the venue would be closed until further notice.

A statement on the Kiwi House website read: There was a fire this evening at approximately 7.30pm in the outdoor area of Kiwi House in London, an outdoor oven caught fire. People were safely and swiftly evacuated, and emergency services were called. Once people were safely evacuated the BBQ gas bottle exploded. There are no reported injuries and the situation is now contained.